Ausmash
Ausmash
  • Login Register
Menu
  • Elo
  • Players
  • Ladders
  • Results
  • Rankings
  • Characters
  • Player tools
  • Compare
  • Head to head
  • Seeding
  • Video
  • Videos
  • Twitch
  • Social
  • Discord
  • Podcasts
  • Crews
  • Awards
  • About
  • Blog
  • Contact us
  • API
  • Regions
  • About
  • Friends
  • Ausmash Pocket
  • Ultimate Stage Striker
  • Streameta
  • Legal
  • Privacy policy
  • Terms & conditions

Dealing with saltiness at tournaments

  1. Data
  2. Forum
  3. Dealing with saltiness at tournaments
Hey guys
I attended my first tournament on Friday night it was a fun experience but I did get someone salty and it did discourage me a bit after I got knocked out of the tournament we played some Friendly's after.. He still got a bit frustrated and gave me advice in a very frustrated annoyed tone.. He did say sorry in the end and I forgave him of course because I guess we can all get salty sometimes and I don't want to cause any bad strife at the local scene because he seemed like a really nice bloke
JackJack 08/31/2015 03:47:17
  • 1
  • 2
  • »
AerodromeQueenslandWolf
Just tell them to get good.


08/30/2015 09:47:53
EmeryQueenslandNess
This ain't league.
08/30/2015 09:56:16
JackJackQueenslandZero Suit Samus
Also just going to say is well he seemed like a really nice guy to I just think frustration might have caused the incident
08/30/2015 10:20:32
AerodromeQueenslandWolf
Who was it?
08/30/2015 10:23:33
GIRLQueenslandCaptain Falcon
Wii U: mikeue
You shouldn't get salty at tournaments. Yes bad match ups exist, and ridiculously frustrating moves exist (yoshi's dair, ness's backthrow, rosa's up air) But they're in the game and there's nothing you can do about it.

Unless they get mad at yoshi's down air, in which case that's completely understandable as that move is broken to shit.
08/30/2015 10:28:51
EmeryQueenslandNess
My guess is matt
08/30/2015 10:44:22
JackJackQueenslandZero Suit Samus
I really don't want to name names guys haha...

It was just new to me seeing it was my first ever smash social outing
08/30/2015 11:02:12
GIRLQueenslandCaptain Falcon
Wii U: mikeue
well you only won 1 of your 3 matches.
And I can't see somebody getting mad for winning.
So your secrets out, we all know who it was!
08/30/2015 11:03:24
JackJackQueenslandZero Suit Samus
....I totally forgot about that hahah
08/30/2015 11:40:14
CapQueenslandLucas
Wii U: GrizzleBears
I don't think he was salty. You gotta understand what it would feel like to lose as well. Like you got a right to feel good about winning, but the other guy has a right to be upset that he lost (in his mind, he might have performed not to his own standards). The way I see it, don't pay any mind unless you smell the scent of shit talk in the air (which nobody in the scene really does), and concentrate on the matches you lost and how you can improve.
08/31/2015 08:56:09
JackJackQueenslandZero Suit Samus
Cap said:
I don't think he was salty. You gotta understand what it would feel like to lose as well. Like you got a right to feel good about winning, but the other guy has a right to be upset that he lost (in his mind, he might have performed not to his own standards). The way I see it, don't pay any mind unless you smell the scent of shit talk in the air (which nobody in the scene really does), and concentrate on the matches you lost and how you can improve.


That's totally understandable.

Like I said this is the first time I've ever been to a smash tournament let alone any competitive video game event.

If there is shit talk I guess that's when it becomes a problem
08/31/2015 09:25:07
AerodromeQueenslandWolf
well the player you beat is bad and consistently loses games so idk if he has the right to be salty lol
08/31/2015 11:16:21
JLoVictoriaKirby
Wii U: thatdudejono
3DS: 5086-1719-4466
More players need to learn how to hold a loss. Gotta git gud mang

Although for me I just realized that my problem is actually the opposite. I laugh off losses too easily, preventing me from learning from my mistakes, so I keep doing dumb stuff LMAO
08/31/2015 11:52:58
AerodromeQueenslandWolf
JLo said:
More players need to learn how to hold a loss. Gotta git gud mang

Although for me I just realized that my problem is actually the opposite. I laugh off losses too easily, preventing me from learning from my mistakes, so I keep doing dumb stuff LMAO


quick, jump into pkt2
08/31/2015 12:03:37
DeezVictoriaToon Link
Wii U: Tarkanator
3DS: 4425-2461-9026
I tend to analyse what I did wrong over get salty. I try to write down also what I did wrong to improve my A game.

Though, when people get salty at me, I'm quite happy, because it showed that Lucario is cheese and I played super Cheesy. I love the salt river streams :)
Usually if a lose, I'm quiet for a bit, but then get back into the rhythm of things.
09/01/2015 00:09:14
GoogersVictoriaPokémon Trainer
I just blame it on SpaceJam and move on
09/01/2015 01:20:47
SpaceJamVictoriaSimon
Switch: SW-6707-1685-3201
Wii U: Supertickles
My doubles partner is usually quite salty after a loss.

Easiest method to deal with it is to just agree to his horrible johns. "This room is too hot", "I can't concentrate" and the ever classic "Stop hitting me with your smash attacks"

If you agree to those they aren't salty for too long.

What a pansy though.
09/01/2015 01:41:52
EmeryQueenslandNess
Fully charged smash attacks?
09/01/2015 01:50:17
SpaceJamVictoriaSimon
Switch: SW-6707-1685-3201
Wii U: Supertickles
It's the only way.
09/01/2015 01:51:24
GoogersVictoriaPokémon Trainer
SpaceJam said:
It's the only way.


Little do they know I only do it ironically
But this room really is too hot and I can't concentrate.


09/01/2015 01:52:22
aceMEMEVictoriaBowser Jr.
Wii U: aceMwiiU
3DS: 2019-9703-1304
i get real salty went my recovery is gimped, go home sonic pls
09/01/2015 02:47:30
Tomo009VictoriaRidley
Wii U: Tomo_009_aus
Play to learn, not to win, then you can only get mad at yourself.
09/01/2015 12:12:00
UriskQueenslandSheik
Play to learn, not to win, then you can only get mad at yourself.

Don't know how to quote that since I'm on a phone but basically yeah. I was supremely mad at myself because I knew what I did wrong but I still flubbed it. Nothing against yourself jack but I'm hitting a wall with improvement that I can see what's going on and can see openings that I should be exploiting or punished for but can't exploit or stop. I can't really find that information anywhere either so I'm stuck in a large limbo which is frustrating cause I know where I need to improve but not what I can do to improve.
09/01/2015 23:20:53
CapQueenslandLucas
Wii U: GrizzleBears
Just play falcon
09/02/2015 01:33:20
JackJackQueenslandZero Suit Samus
Urisk said:
Play to learn, not to win, then you can only get mad at yourself.

Don't know how to quote that since I'm on a phone but basically yeah. I was supremely mad at myself because I knew what I did wrong but I still flubbed it. Nothing against yourself jack but I'm hitting a wall with improvement that I can see what's going on and can see openings that I should be exploiting or punished for but can't exploit or stop. I can't really find that information anywhere either so I'm stuck in a large limbo which is frustrating cause I know where I need to improve but not what I can do to improve.


I'm sorry if I added to that frustration man..
I just didn't know what to say or do in the situation because you looked bummed. I guess when it's a personal thing it's tougher but I didn't want to make a bad realtionship with someone in the scene.

If I seemed dicky at all in this thread man I apologize but to me you were tough and I know you will improve.

09/02/2015 09:46:13
  • 1
  • 2
  • »

To post on the Ausmash forums you must register

Latest threads

Super Smash Flash 2
13
Davo369
01/26/2025 15:19:47
Australian Super Smash Bros. for Wii U and 3DS Wifi Online Thread 26
67
Waveguider
06/03/2022 06:39:32
ROUND 1;Matches due 29-05-16 Online Tournament-Ultimate Smash Tour
49
yarbsarb
11/29/2021 01:57:36
Favourite move in the game
6
SonicMam
06/01/2021 02:21:57
Elite Smash Badge
0

02/19/2021 18:41:06
Big SXC Attendee Player Analysis / Banter thread
119
Aerodrome
11/07/2020 09:27:12
Wrong name for some tournaments
0

02/13/2020 13:55:03
Really Random Tournament 3
4
Exist
05/28/2019 04:59:27

Blog articles

An Overview of Queensland’s Jan-Apr 2026 PR

By Litty - 20/06/2026 An overview on each player's performance, players to keep an eye on next season and inactive players with a standout performance throughout Jan-Apr 2026.
Read article 0

Cocony-Asks: What do Queenslanders REALLY Think About Off the Rails?

By Coco - 23/05/2026 Coconya goes on a two-question ""deep"" dive to get to the bottom of what people really think before the final Off The Rails
Read article 3

Second Wind 2025's Underdogs

By IcyK - 8/07/2025 Shining a spotlight on players who could exceed expectations at Wellington's premiere Smash event.
Read article 0
Forum RulesCode of conduct